This balancing yoga pose is a great way to bring focus and calm to your body and mind while building strength in the ankles, calves and abdominal muscles.
- Stand tall in mountain pose with arms by your side.
- Lift one foot and place it on the calf or inner thigh of the standing leg. Be sure your lifted knee is pointing out to the side.
- Press your palms together at your heart and then slowly raise your branches high. Be sure to keep your eyes on one still spot to help your balance!
- Balance here for five slow breaths. You can be a tree in autumn by pretending that your leaves are falling as you exhale.
- Return carefully to mountain pose and repeat on the other leg.
Become a Forest!
With a partner or large group, bring your bodies close together in mountain pose.
Come into tree pose and hold hands, then raise your branches.
Pose description courtesy of Susan Cline Lucey, owner of Evolution Prenatal & Family Yoga Center in Burlington and Essex. For more information about kids and family yoga classes, visit evolutionprenatalandfamily.com.