All Hallows' Eve is on the horizon, and little ones are already counting down the days 'til costumes, candy corn and trick or treating. Catch the festive spirit by helping your kids create Halloween-themed refrigerator magnets. Make them spooky or just plain silly; these magnets are simple to pull together and instantly add a little flair to the kitchen. Older children can take them to school to decorate the inside of their lockers. Adapt this craft to fit any season or holiday.
- magnet sheet with adhesive backing (we got ours at Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft store in South Burlington)
- newspapers or magazines
- Challenge your kids to a scavenger hunt through some seasonal newspapers or magazines. Have them scour the pages and cut out any iconic Halloween images, such as pumpkins and black cats, or anything else that qualifies as scary and graphically pleasing.
- Peel off the protective backing from the sheet of magnets and place the trimmed images smoothly on the sticky surface.
- Use scissors to cut closely around the images.
- Display the magnets on the fridge or hang them in a school locker.
- Get creative: Older kids can cut large-font letters and words out of the newspaper to make their own set of magnetic poetry.