Valentine giving — and getting — is upon us. Will you say it with flowers, chocolates or a greeting card declaring love and affection? As with most things, homemade Valentines are better, and edible homemade Valentines are best.
Tossed with pretzel bits and candy-coated chocolate pieces in red, pink and white, this caramel corn makes a sweet-and-salty gift to share with your child's classmates. Just pour the mix into cellophane bags and tie with red and pink ribbons to rival any store-bought treat this Valentine's Day.
Sweet & Salty Popcorn Mix
- 2 quarts (about 8 cups) popped corn, plain
- 1 cup pretzels, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup candy-coated chocolate pieces in Valentine colors, either plain or with peanuts
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet (or line with a silicone baking mat).
- Combine popcorn and pretzel pieces and spread across prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, combine butter, brown sugar, honey and salt. Once the butter melts, let the mixture bubble and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla and baking soda.
- Immediately pour caramel mixture over popcorn and pretzels. Using a spatula, toss the popcorn to coat.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then break into pieces and toss with chocolate candy.
- Store mix in an airtight container or package for Valentine giving.