An eclectic offering of events this weekend ensures there's something to satisfy every member of the family. Plus, snow is on the way!
- While adults attend the Northeast Organic Farming Association's winter conference on Saturday and Sunday at UVM's Davis Center in Burlington, kids ages 6 to 12 can enjoy some agricultural workshops of their own at the children's conference. Activities include working with wool, creating a community art project with local artist Bonnie Acker, writing songs with children's musician Chris Dorman and taking an outdoor Earth Walk. Walk-in registrations are welcome for both kids and adults, and full scholarships are available.
- Families take an early morning walk through snowy woods to look for feathered friends at the Backyard Bird Count
at the Green Mountain Audubon Center in Huntington. It's part of an annual event across North America that aims to provide a real-time snapshot of where birds are. On Sunday, the North Branch Nature Center in Montpelier also has a birding walk as part of this national bird census.
Courtesy of Green Mountain Audubon Center
- Always wanted to try your hand at constructing an igloo? Head to the Montshire Museum of Science in Norwich on Saturday for its annual Igloo Build, an all-day workshop led by snow structure aficionado Dr. Bert Yankielun — who literally wrote the book on igloo making.
For little love bugs looking to extend Valentine's Day, Shelburne Museum offers "I Heart Art," an afternoon event with tasty treats and heart-themed jewelry making, in the Pizzagalli Center classroom.
Courtesy of Montshire Museum
- The forecast calls for a thick coating of snow on the ground for Sunday's Wintervale at Burlington's Intervale. Families can enjoy free ski and snowshoe rentals, kids' activities and yummy local food.
- Looking for some indoor fun on Sunday afternoon? Head to the Integrated Arts Academy in Burlington for its Community Arts Day and Silent Auction. Parents can listen to local musicians and bid on auction items while kids in grades K-5 enjoy free workshops with Davis Studio, Very Merry Theatre, Jeh Kulu Dance and Drum Theater and other groups.